Sunday 15 November 2015

Portobello Breakfast Cups


It seems strange to go “back to normal” today. I was originally going to post these yesterday, but it just didn’t seem right. I had too many things rolling around in my brain, and I needed to use this blog for what I originally started it for–to share my thoughts. I love sharing recipes but I also always want this blog to be a place I approach with honesty and the truth of my thoughts. So if you took the time out of your day to read those thoughts, I also want to say thank you.

Okay, let’s attempt to get back to normal, shall we? You know how I eat the same thing for breakfast every single day? Well, I actually usually eat this for lunch. I love sweet breakfast for breakfast and savory breakfast for lunch. I know, I’m kind of a freak. One day, after eating this for about the 6th consecutive day, I thought I’d take a picture of it.

Except when I eat this, I just chop the mushroom up and throw everything together in a big bowl, but that’s not exactly visually appealing, or at all photogenic. So this time I put everything in nice little mushroom cups for you. Then, after I took this picture, I threw everything into a big bowl.

It’s funny, I rarely use eggs when I bake. I’ll use them if I'm using other dairy products, but that’s not very often, so I usually leave them out to keep them friendly for my vegan friends. But on their own? I love eggs. Especially a runny yolk.



Portobello Breakfast Cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2
Serving Size: 2 cups

Portobello Breakfast Cups

A simple, veggie-packed breakfast, lunch or dinner. Grain and gluten-free.


Ingredients
  • 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, orange, etc.), chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • large handful chopped kale, approx 1 cup loosely packed
  • 1 chicken sausage, sliced
  • 1/4 cup 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you want to use, or no cheese if you wish)
  • 4 eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Chalulah for topping, optional
Instructions
  1. Line a medium-large baking dish with tin foil. Add portobello mushrooms and drizzle lightly with 1 tbsp olive oil. Broil until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, until fragrant. Add kale and chicken sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
  3. While vegetables finish cooking, fry eggs over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet until bottoms are browned, and eggs are cooked to desired consistency (for me, it's about 5 minutes).
  4. Top cooked portobellos with sauteed vegetables, then cheese. Top with fried egg. Add a few shakes of Chalulah is desired.

http://arismenu.com/portobello-breakfast-cups/#_a5y_p=615193

No comments:

Post a Comment